William Schaffner, MD
Academic Rank: Professor of Preventive Medicine and Medicine
Title: Chairman, Department of Preventive Medicine
Education & Training
Undergraduate Yale, 1957
Medical School Cornell University Medical College, 1962
Residency Vanderbilt University, 1964
Chief Residency Vanderbilt University, 1969
Professional Association Leadership Roles
1. SHEA, President 1983
2. IDSA, Council 2000-2003
3. ASM, Division of Nosocomial Infections, Chair 1983-1984
Editorial board membership
1. Clinical Research, 1974-1984
2. Infection, 1985-present
3. American Journal of Epidemiology, 1987-1997
4. European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, 1993-present
5. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology Senior Associate Editor, 1981-present
6. Journal of Infectious Diseases Associate Editor, 2003-present
1. Ford Foundation Scholar, Yale University (1953-1957)
2. Fulbright Scholar, Albert-Ludwigs University, Freiburg, Germany (1957-1958)
3. Student Fellow, Inter-American Program in Tropical Medicine, Louisiana State University, Guatemala (1962)
4. Philip S. Brachman Award: Distinguished Friend of the Epidemic Intelligence Service, Centers for Disease Control (1985)
The Shovel Award: "In recognition of teaching excellence in both word and gesture", Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Class of 1987
5. Alpha Omega Alpha, elected as a faculty member (1991)
6. Society of Healthcare Epidemiology (SHEA) Lecturer Award: "In recognition of extraordinary career contributions to infection control and healthcare epidemiology." (1996)
7. The William Schaffner Teaching Award in Infectious Diseases, Established by the Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine (1999)
8. Master, American College of Physicians, Elected by Board of Regents (2004)
9. William J. Darby Award: "For translation research that has changed the practice of medicine world wide", Vanderbilt University School of Medicine (2005)
10.CDC Honor Award, Asian Avian Influenza Response Team (co-awardee) "For adding substantially to the body of scientific and public health knowledge regarding avian influenza", National Center for Infectious Diseases, CDC (2005)
1. Jones TF, Creech CB, Erwin P, Baird SG, Woron AM, Schaffner W. Family Outbreaks of invasive community - associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Clin Infect Dis 2005 (in press).
2. Perz JF, Craig AS, Stratton CW, Bodner SJ, Phillips WE, Schaffner W. Pseudomonas putida septicemia in a special care nursery due to contaminated flush solutions prepared in a hospital pharmacy. J Clin Micro 2005; 43: 5316-5218.
3. Talbot TR, Hartert TV, Mitchel E, Halasa NB, Arbogast PG, Poehling KA, Schaffner W, Craig AS, Griffin MR. Asthma as a risk factor for invasive pneumococcal disease. N Engl J Med 2005; 352: 2082-2090.
4. Craig AS, Schaffner W. Prevention of hepatitis A using hepatitis A vaccine. N Engl J Med 2004; 350: 476-481.
5. Jones TF, Ingram LA, Craig AS, Schaffner W. Determinants of influenza vaccination, 20032004: shortages, fallicies and disparities. Clin Infect Dis 2004; 39: 1824-1828.
6. Talbot TR, Poehling KA, Hartert TV, Arbogast PG, Halasa NB, Mitchel E, Schaffner W, Craig AS, Edwards KM, Griffin MR. Elimination of racial differences in invasive pneumococcal disease in young children after introduction of the conjugate pneumococcal vaccine. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2004: 23: 726-731.
7. Kirschke DL, Jones TF, Craig AS, Chu PS, Mayernick GG, Patel JA, Schaffner W. Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Serratia marcescents contamination associated with a manufacturing defect in bronchoscopes. N Engl J Med 2003; 348: 214-220.
8. Kirschke DL, Jones TF, Stratton CW, Barnett JA, Schaffner W. Outbreak of joint and soft-tissue infections associated with infections from a multiple-dose medication vial. Clin Infect Dis 2003; 36: 1369-1373.
9. Jones TF, Benson RF, Brown EW, Rowland JR, Crosier SC, Schaffner W. Epidemiologic investigation of a restaurant-associated outbreak of Pontiac fever. Clin Infect Dis 2003; 37: 1292-1297.
10.Perz JF, Craig AS, Coffey CS, Jorgensen DM, Mitchel E, Hall S, Schaffner W, Griffin MR. Changes in antibiotic prescribing for children after a community-wide campaign. JAMA 2002; 287: 3103-3109.
11.D'Agata EMC, Green WK, Schulman G, Li H, Tang Y-W, Schaffner W. Vancomycin-resistant enterococci among chronic hemodialysis patients: A prospective study on acquisition. Clin Infect Dis 2001; 32: 23-29.
12.D'Agata EMC, Thayer V, Schaffner W. An outbreak of Acinetobacter baumannii: The importance of cross-transmission. Infect Cont Hosp Epidemiol 2000; 21: 588-591.
13.Jones TF, Craig AS, Hoy D, Gunter EW, Ashley DL, Barr DB, Brock JW, Schaffner W. Mass psychogenic illness attributed to toxic exposure at a high school. N Engl J Med 2000; 342: 96-100.